How to install NVIDIA graphics driver to Ubuntu 8.10

Thursday, July 16, 2009

After thinking of a way to maximize my U-Box i noticed that Ubunutu 8.10 seem to have a bug on NVIDIA graphics driver, whenever I try to install the driver via hardware drivers. Eventually I managed to install the my graphics driver here is what I did:

  1. Enter the NVIDIA website, www.nvidia.com, go to download drivers and select Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris Drivers under other downloads and support.
  2. Download the driver that suites your harware in my case i used Latest Legacy GPU version (173.14.xx series).
  3. download the driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.20.pkg1.run
  4. Press ctrl + alt + f1
  5. supply the username and password if asked.
  6. enter sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop this will stop your x-server in preparation to install the driver
  7. enter sudo sh /path of your package/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.20.pkg1.run
  8. enter sudo reboot
  9. enjoy your ubuntu 8.10!

0 comments:

 
 
 
 
Copyright © My blogs