The Gift of Language

Friday, July 11, 2008




dinner with some of the foreign delegates who attended the ASTW

Truly language is one key in uniting different countries. I have witnessed this during the 8th ASEAN Science and Technology Week (ASTW) held last 01-11 July 2008 here in Manila, Philippines. The event became an opportunity for member countries of the Association of South East Asian Nations - Committee on Science and Technology ASEAN-COST to meet and discuss matters that relate to the advancement of Science and Technology in the South East Asian region. It also became an opportunity to meet with other nationalities within the ASEAN Region.


I believe that one factor that contributed to the success of the event was the elimination of the language barrier. English became the language of choice and even if no native language within ASEAN was used, the discussion went well since english provided a unified medium of communication. I think it doesn't matter what language you use, as long as we understand each other and be able to express our ideas and help in contributing to the advancement of humanity, and in this case that language came in the form of english.

I don't think I'm that good in grammar, accent nor in figures of speech but that didn't matter during the ASTW, because they still understood me and everybody spoke in english some even provided interpreters, but still that didn't matter as long as we could speak and be understood.

Language is truly a gift, something that needs time to learn, but once learned can become a force that can drive ideas into reality, bridge barriers and unify far away lands.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice blog ha! it really make sense and I aver with you. You know what dude, my most favorite part of these blog is the second to the last paragraph that says " I don't think I'm that good in grammar, accent nor in figures of speech but that didn't matter because they still understood me and everybody spoke in english some even provided interpreters, but still that didn't matter as long as we could speak and be understood." why? simply because I'm also not good at it..hahaha.. Good job buddy, you're the man!

Carlo said...

thanks dude...that's just one thing that I really noticed during the event, and that I'm very thankful for, because It did allowed us to do our job...

 
 
 
 
Copyright © My blogs